I don't want to loose the enthusiasm and spontaneity of NaNoWriMo by getting too caught up in character development, but the truth is the characters and their inner-workings are what make this story. I'm not revisiting the novel to get bogged down in editing and perfecting - I promise to maintain the spirit of the event. What I am going to attempt is some extemporaneous character development, focusing primarily on my two main characters and dabbling with a few of the supporting characters.
To make it fun and fluid while still staying on track, I'm going to type up a bunch of questions from Toben & Joanne Heim's What's Your Story? and stick them in a jar. (This is one of my all time favorite resources for anything and everything.) Whenever I get stuck, I'll just pull out a question and explore it from each character's perspective. I'm hoping to discover things about the characters and their story I had not expected.
1. I will not kick myself for not hitting 2,000 words a day
2. I will not try to stuff my characters into a mold
3. I will allow the process to be fun, not stressful
4. I will enjoy the opportunity to climb out of my rut
5. I will not let all this rebellion go to my head