Monday, June 23, 2008

~ coming out ~

So, I went there.

You know, the topic no polite Southern lady is supposed to breach?

...the topic that is sure to keep a single, thirty-something woman in her status for quite some time, especially here in family land?

I am an egalitarian.

Not only that, but I told the whole world.

Then, as if that weren't enough, I followed up my confession with sarcasm.

For the record, I am all about families. I come from a long line of families. I would like to have a family someday. This is not about hating families, or marriage, or men, or Paul, or God.

It is not about being opposed to being barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen... I love being barefoot, I enjoy the kitchen and I like the idea of pregnancy.

It is not about trying to get everyone to agree with me or pretending like I've got it all figured out or telling people they're wrong or bad or ignorant.

It is about a theological perspective that implies Christ's substitutionary atonement was enough to bring redemption from sins... all sin... well, most sin... except that one... that one EVE committed... you know, the one where Adam just stood by... all except that one... she still has to pay for that one.

It is about a theological perspective that implies women can not be called by the Spirit to lead and teach "our" people, but they are welcome to go lead and teach "those" people.

It is about a theological perspective that says, if you do not interpret these verses the way that we interpret these verses, it will lead to "increasingly destructive consequences."

It is about a theology that refuses to seperate our understanding of scripture from historical traditions.

So, I went there. And now I feel like kicking back with a nice, cold glass of sweet tea.

5 comments:

Capt. Flipout said...

Preach it sister! Seriously... PREACH it!

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I loved both articles. YAY.

Janna Barber said...

Not too long ago, I was on the phone w/ my Mom. I don't remember what we were talking about but she said, and I quote, "Are you saying you're a feminist, because I know I raised you better than that?"

To which I replied, "yes, the Susan B. Anthony, classical kind of feminist."

She wasn't quite sure what to make of that, and the conversation quickly turned to other matters, but I will never forget hearing her say that.

Man is king in the Young household, and it's almost the opposite in John's family. I like to think he and I have found a sort of middle ground. Imagine that!

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!!

Equality, there is nothing like it!

And I've got to say that there is nothing like a man who believes that I'm his equil, and nothing more 'unsexy' than a guy who thinks I'm his door mat!

Faith

Anonymous said...

I've got some reading material to go with that sweet tea... ;)

A little teaser - gender roles were established before the Fall, not after it.