Monday, November 26, 2007

what I've learned about my writing style from NaNoWriMo:

  1. Isolation does nothing for me… three days away and I only typed a measly 4,000 words. I could have done that at home

  2. 2,000 words a day is a good goal for me during crunch times

  3. 1,000 words a day is a more realistic goal for me on regular days

  4. 5,000 words a day comes only during fits of inspiration

  5. I need a story map. I know NaNo is all about turning off your inner editor and just getting the words out there on paper, but the further I get into the story the more agitated I get from not having a storyboard with character names, dates, major events and turning points.

  6. On the other hand, I benefit from forced writing with no map. There have been several characters and events that have emerged without my foresight as I took my character to a coffee shop, had her pick up a pillow, or introduced her to some random person, just to see what would happen.

  7. Dialogue seems to flow most naturally when I am focused on something else, like my job, or driving a car, or listening to a sermon. Suddenly, in the midst of these activities, the characters start talking to each other behind my back. At work, this is usually ok, because I am in front of a computer and can switch over to Word and start recording their interactions. In the car or in church, this is a bit more difficult, and I try to keep all of their words and emotions straight until I can get to my journal and write it down.

  8. I was originally striving for a novel that would be socially conscious and thought provoking, but it appears that I am just a hallmark-worthy inspirational writer at heart, and this disappoints me.

  9. I like saying, “I’m a writer.” Kind of just rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it?

  10. My next project should be a sarcasm-laden book of random non-fiction; I think that works better for me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

write a steamy romance novel. i've read a bunch and think i could write one. i know what you mean about the characters playing out in your head when you dont have a chance to get them down. i've always had some sort of storyline playing in my head since i can remember but have very rarely put it down. i congratulate you on your efforts and look forward to maybe getting to read it. ;)

Ines said...

does this happen to you, but i can get kind of cranky when all the info starts rolling in my head and can't write it down-- OR ROB is talking to me while I'm furiously writing away. LOUD NOISES!!! can you imagine if you suddenly stood up in church one Sunday, and screamed, "LOUD NOISES!", ran out the door in search of your journal, and forgetting your shoes behind! HIL-LARRY-US! I would totally translate that to Spanish via the headsets and explain the situation to the confused Hispanics in the audience wondering why the white chick screamed, "BLAH_BLAH_BLAH" and ran out.

Kimberly said...

Jeanetta - While participating in NaNoWriMo, I met several people in Central Arkansas who write steamy romance novels... and they have monthly meetings! You should attend and try your hand at writing one!

Ines - oh my... we should totatlly stage that! Although, maybe I should yell "Stop Talking! Everyone, just STOP talking!!!". And of course I will leave my shoes behind, just like Cinderella... albeit a slightly psychotic Cinderella. Oh, and I'll throw in a little "bicicleta" just for the heck of it!

Angelika said...

oh, oh, oh ... PLEASE let me know before hand when you'll be doing this !!!! I would actually take vacation, come over to little rock, just to witness that ... and of course see all of you!