Wednesday, July 25, 2007

~ more cheese, please ~

We had a yard sale this weekend, and my friend Amber contributed several items she was ready to be rid of. Problem is, I made the mistake of sorting through the piles and ended up picking out several items for myself: Ben Harper’s Burn to Shine CD (an old favorite from the CD Warehouse days), Garden State DVD, Grease 2 DVD, Franz Wright’s God’s Silence and several other books. Most of those items are pretty hip, right? (and by hip, of course, I mean I’m 31 years old and slowly loosing touch with what kids think is cool these days.) But, come on, Grease 2?! (That was actually the one I was most excited about…)

I have a long, sordid history with cheesy musicals or music-related movies. You know, the kind of stuff your older sister comes in and begs you to stop watching for the 500th time (or, more realistically, threatens you with physical violence or vicious rumors). By high school I was left with Newsies and Swing Kids (luckily for my sister she was out of the house by then). Most recently the temptation reemerged in the form of Bride and Prejudice. But basically we’re talking about an 80’s phenomenon.

So, just in case you’re itching for a movie to sing and dance along to (and memorize every word of) as you celebrate what’s left of summer, I present to you my list of childhood favorites:

What if we get back to the Shakespeare essay? I figured out Hamlet’s problem. No ketchup! How can you eat a hamburger with no ketchup?!

Frederic: Oh I love you. I'll always love you, come what may…
Mabel: "Come what may"? We'll all be murdered in our beds, come what may?!

What I want is something you can wrap yourself up in forever. We need each other man, words and music…

Stacey: Like, I'm not gettting out of this car!
Randy: All right, but when they attack the car, save the radio…

When you give up your dreams, you die.

Me? I'm scared of everything. I'm scared of what I saw, I'm scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you.

I'm looking for that song about the guy that killed himself, for the girl that hated his guts… do you know what song I'm talking about?

Ah, forget it. None of us speak European anyway…

Chip: Know any elephant jokes?
Caroline: Is that a remark?
Chip: Huh?
Caroline: Sorry. I guess I'm just sensitive about my weight.
Chip: What weight?

I should be at the dance. I was at the dance… dancing perfectly… with a hot chick. She wanted me. I know she wanted me! Well, every girl wants me…

I'm going to sing something, something hillbilly, something colored, something my daddy would have loved!

No comments: