Thursday, June 07, 2007

~ oh here she comes ~

When I was in high school, one of my best friends and I gave ourselves Indian bear names. I don’t know why I started thinking about that today, though I also have The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood on my brain, so whatever it is the two are connected (princess naked-as-a-jaybird). For the record (be it duly noted), Ya-Ya was first published in 1996, and we graduated in 1994 ~ so I’m quite certain we set the trend.

Where does one select Indian bear names, you may ask? Why in a baby name book, of course. See, when you are Southern (and especially Southern Baptist) it is perfectly acceptable to think about babies in high school (you’re just not supposed to think about making babies). So she had this baby name book with special features on random names, and one of the features was a list of Indian (as in Native American) bear names.

Our names were Kuttatoa and Kutkuyak, though I can’t remember which name belonged to which of us. I do recall that her name meant “bear-with-good-hair”, because of the long locks… humorous since the last picture I saw of her she had shaved her hair (guess we need to find a new name)! Mine was a bit more gruesome, being “bear-who-spreads-intestines-of-man-after-devouring-him”. Hmm… Why am I single?

No comments: