Tuesday, December 21, 2004

would you pay money for this?

Below is an "introduction" for a money making scheme I'm contemplating (in my spare time as I'm writing my master's paper, of course...). Would you bite, or is the memoir thing too 2000? (*please note* - the font and spacing are much prettier in my word version)
------------------------------------------------

Moving Home

~ debts incurred, dreams deferred, and discoveries made in the process ~


Most of us inevitably grow up with the same roadmap for life. There is a certain direction our lives are supposed to take, if we follow the right path, and occasionally there are little speed bumps along the way. Where you start from is not of great importance, as childhood can be overcome no matter how tragic or mundane or idyllic it may have been. What matters most is that you set your heart to follow the right path. Working hard in high school, one progresses toward college, accompanied by grants and scholarships in appreciation of your great potential (occasionally offset by a small loan that is easily repaid). College is where you think deep thoughts, spend good times, and possibly meet your soul mate. If you don’t meet said soul mate in college, never fear. Once you start your fabulous career afforded you by your excellent college education, you will no doubt encounter that future husband who will become your best friend, lover, and spiritual encourager. Sure there may be a clunky car, leaky apartment, breaking heart, or crappy job along the way – but those are just speed bumps. You’re on the right track, you see the light at the end of the tunnel, and happily ever after is just one job interview or fab new apartment away.

Those of you rolling your eyes right now, welcome to my journey. I’ve taken a few detours, and I’m not quite sure how I got here or the best way to get to where I’m going. Heck, I’m not even sure where I’m going. I’ve left a few people behind on the way, and have been tempted to pick up a few shady characters I’ve found walking along the road in the meantime. The light at the end of my tunnel is scheduled to be shut off at the end of the month if I don’t scrape up the money to pay the bill. My speed bumps have turned into roadblocks, and something has to be done. I took a rest stop. I moved home. It wasn’t an easy decision, but it was a necessary decision. This is my story, for better or worse. I’m not at the happy ending – I’m smack dab in the turning point. My hope is that none of you will relate to what I have to share, but my gut tells me that many of you will. If this is unfamiliar territory for you, I hope it brings you some laughter and some appreciation for your station in life. If my stories are eerily too familiar, I hope it inspires you to keep going, despite the fact that your path may not look like you thought it should. Go in peace, be warmed and be filled…

No comments: