Thursday, June 25, 2009

~ weightless ~

And I always go to pieces,
and I have it in my mind
that the sky is tall and heavy,
when I could be brave.
~ The Innocence Mission

I reckon Heaven is a place
where everything is weightless, yeah
even heavy things are weightless, yeah
up there we'll never fight at all.
~ Old 97’s

If you ask me, the people who get the most out of life are the ones who don’t ask questions. I wish I was this kind of person. I was at Crème the other morning and heard a girl tell another girl about her previous night’s date and I kept wondering how she could go on about her date without knowing what love is for and what it means. I kept wondering how she could be excited about something when there was no philosophical map that would tell her where she was going and whether or not arriving there would give her a sense of closure and fulfillment. And there is a man who delivers library books to the library downstairs and the other day when he was carrying cartons of books into the library I wondered if he ever got tempted to drive the truck off the Sellwood bridge because he knew it was filled with a million ideas that contradicted each other. There are times when I think an act like that might be righteous. But I don’t know why.

I have a friend who has the uncanny ability to live in the moment. He manages a Bi-mart and has a wife and he doesn’t think about the future and doesn’t think about the past and to me he is like a person floating on his back in a river and only thinks about the rapids when he finds himself in the rapids.
~ Donald Miller
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years (early manuscript)

image attribution

No comments: