Friday, February 13, 2009

~ empathy ~

Jo: You should be ashamed of yourself.

Dick: We don't usually barge in that way.

I mean a man of your ability wasting his time photographing silly dresses on silly women.

Most people think they're beautiful dresses on beautiful women.

At most, a synthetic beauty. Trees are beautiful. Why don't you photograph trees?

I do what I do for a living. It has to do with supply and demand. You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees. My work is pleasant, the pay is excellent, and I get a trip to Paris every year.

I certainly envy you that. I'd be in Paris now if I could afford it.

You'd have a ball. You'd go to a party every night, drink champagne, swim in perfume, and a new love affair every hour on the hour.

If I went to Paris, it would be to go to Emile Flostre's lectures.

Who goes to Paris for lectures?

Professor Flostre is the greatest living philosopher, and father of empathicalism.

Oh? What's empathicalism?

The most sensible approach to true understanding and peace of mind.

Sounds great, but what is it?

It's based on empathy. Do you know what the word "empathy" means?

No, I'll have to have the beginner's course on that one. Empathy, is it something like sympathy?

Oh, it goes beyond sympathy. Sympathy is to understand what someone feels. Empathy is to project your imagination so that you actually feel what the other person is feeling. You put yourself in the other person's place. Do I make myself clear?

(He kisses her)

Why did you do that?

Empathy. I put myself in your place and I felt that you wanted to be kissed.

You put yourself in the wrong place. I have no desire to be kissed
by you, or anyone else.

Don't be silly. Everybody wants to be kissed, even philosophers.


(Funny Face)

No comments: