Monday, September 29, 2008

~ the Word I need ~

And the Word I need
is the Word that was
who put on flesh to dwell with us.
In the beginning....
~ Sara Groves

I am extremely blessed to be a part of two gatherings of the communion of saints studying the scriptures.

On Sunday evenings I am gathering with some sisters who mean the world to me, and will one day be scattered about it. Blessed be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love; The fellowship of kindred minds Is like that to that above. We are digging into the book of Micah, inductive style. Many of us have been in similar studies together before, so continuing to grow in the knowledge of the Lord together is a privilege. Ines and I can remember back many moons ago to a particular study of the book of John, which we never quite were able to finish, despite innumerable dear hours devoted to study and discussion of the text. Some of the women who were a part of that study are now as far off as Austria, Uganda and Kenya.

On Wednesday evenings (yes, Virginia, I’m going to “Wednesday church”) I am gathering with the believers at Vineyard Community Church to study the book of 1 John. I missed the opportunity to participate in the 1 John inductive study my sisters enjoyed awhile back. I was taking Perspectives at the time, and knew that I would not be able to give the passage adequate attention. I can not imagine a better way to get to know a new community than to soak up the word together, and dwell on what it means to be a part of the Body of Christ.

In less than a week, I will be embarking on a personal retreat.

In a couple of months, we will usher in the Advent season, the new year of the liturgical calendar.

Could there be a better way to repair and prepare our hearts, than to submit them to renewal through the Word?

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men… The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:1-4 & 14)

No comments: