Monday, October 29, 2007

'tis the season

So, I started Weight Watchers (again) last week. I was ready to have myself certified insane for starting to care about my nutrition right on the cusp of the holiday season, until I discovered an affinity for a certain ingredient on the message boards: PUMPKIN! Not only is pumpkin one of my favorite flavors of all time... Not only is this the perfect time of year to enjoy the taste and smell... But apparently pumpkin is high in fiber and nutrients (duh, Kimberly!) and is fabulous for baking. I had thought all was lost. I had thought I would go without pumpkin soup this year (though, admittedly, I will have to tweak my recipe a bit... no heavy cream). I haven't gone crazy on the pumpkin recipes yet, but I did try my own adaptation of one this weekend and was quite pleased with myself. The recipes on the message boards called for using a spice or yellow cake mix and resulted in two point muffins (that's WW speak). My version used a yummy cranberry-orange mix and resulted in only ONE POINT per muffin! (of course, that increases when you eat several in one sitting...) Now, if only I could discover the same thing about Cinnamon Bun flavored items!!! (I did calculate the points in my Starbuck's Cinnamon Dolce syrup this weekend and, with the help of some fat-free vanilla creamer, treated myself to a heavenly coffee beverage Saturday morning).


Cranberry-Orange Pumpkin Muffins

1 pkg (17.5oz) Krusteaz Fat-Free Cranberry Orange Muffin Mix
1 can (15oz) Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 cup of water

Drain cranberries (from muffin mix) and set aside; Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray or line with paper cups; Mix pumpkin, muffin mix and water; Fold cranberries into batter; Seperate batter into muffin tins (makes 20 muffins); Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

that sounds and incredible and soooo easy i must try it.

Carrie said...

Aww Kim,

That is so sweet of you to offer to send me some of those cranberry orange pumpkin weight watchers friendly muffins in the mail!

*clears throat*

You're a real friend. :)

Carrie

Saline County, Arkansas Photos said...

I have given up! I will never be skinny again...

Anonymous said...

dont' miss samantha crain and the midnight shivers at whitewater tavern november 10