Thursday, September 07, 2006

screw weight watchers...

... for today, at least (I'll eat Kashi tomorrow)!

I started a new novel last night, and read five or six chapters until I fell asleep. I woke up and ironed a short-sleeve blouse and capri pants, before rushing off to work.

I jumped in my car, turned on the engine and stopped...

I looked at my temperature gauge. I rolled down my window. I listened to the Po' Girl CD start back up on my dash. I watched the squirrels, who are slowly demolishing our trees to store up their treasures, scurry and chase each other in the yard. I took in the sights and sounds, while feeling the beautiful 67 degree air filter through my car. I breathed in the scent of the lotion I made at Bath Junkie this week (colored orange for the upcoming season, with the swirling scents of oatmeal, milk & honey and cloves). I couldn't move. Autumn is coming.

I wanted my sense of taste to experience the approach of the hallowed season as well, so I pulled into the new Starbucks five steps from my house. I was not disappointed: the pumpkin spice latte has arrived! I paired it with a cranberry-orange scone for a bit-o-heaven on earth.

There is no greater season than the one where leaves change and fall... with the promise to return alive and refreshed after the brief winter chill. Soon I will be enjoying the coziness of wool skirts, turtle necks, hooded sweaters, leather clogs, fluffy blankets... warmth and comfort. In summer people wonder why you're staying cooped up inside your house... in autumn it’s expected of you.

Curl up in a chair, cover yourself with a blanket, sip a cup of chai and devour novel after novel. Drive north, observe the crimson, copper, saffron and amber dripping from the tree limbs and pull over at every flea market along the way. Sit on the porch (or sit on someone else's), listen to bluegrass music and talk into the late hours of the evening. Embrace the season for all its worth... its worth a lot.

5 comments:

methy413 said...

pumpkin spice. yum.

i love the autumn as well. i am a bit timid to experience in a new city but excited nontheless. i miss you dear friend. i miss your skirts and thoughts.

Rob said...

Speaking of reading books...

I'm currently on chapter 5 of To Own a Dragon by DM. Have you read it? I'm really enjoying it.

Peace out,
RCM II

Unknown said...

I love the fall... I am about to break out all the pumpkin spicy candles and throw a harvesty wreath on the door. Labor Day has past, let the autumn party begin!

Angelika said...

we need to go to the pumplin patch!

and java has a pumpkin spice latte, too ;)

and it's definitly fall here, i'm looking at the temperature right now and its's 60 degrees!

Angelika said...

oh .. and it's fall here without a doubt because i already purchased my wintercoat - black down coat, from benetton! yes, i'm an official european again ;)